Welcome to HeatingNews.org – a site designed to give members of the media, consumers, and others the latest news and trends on today’s oilheat.
The ECC’s mission is to improve public knowledge of modern heating oil and oilheat systems and clearly explain the growing role of energy efficiency and renewables in the heating oil sector. Consumers figured out a century ago that oil provides tremendous value and benefits for heating homes and businesses. Oilheat retailers are shaping their next 100 years of service in part by selling and installing more ENERGY STAR® rated equipment that takes advantage of new biofuels and solar energy.
10 Tips to Save More on Heating Oil this Winter
Homeowners are feeling the chill of fall, and some may have turned on their furnaces these past few days. Consumers who heat with oil can save on heating costs this upcoming season by being proactive and taking a few small steps to conserve energy.
Thanks to the many advances made in heating oil technology, today’s heating oil equipment is more efficient than ever. However, to get the most out of your equipment, the heating oil industry’s Energy Communications Council recommends pairing the best equipment with the right efficiency and conservation measures.
Did you know? Just the annual maintenance and a tune-up of your heating system will save 5-10%.
And… A modern high efficiency oilheat system can save you up to 40% depending on the age of your current system.
Here are a few more tips from the Energy Communications Council to save energy and lower heating costs:
1. Wrap exposed pipes with proper insulation to prevent both heat loss and freezing.
2. Install and close storm windows, and consider new glass that is designed to decrease radiant heat loss without lowering visibility.
3. Replace your manual thermostat with a programmable model, and lower it just a few degrees while at work or sleeping.
4. Remember that hot water uses fuel too. Take notice of how much you use while bathing and washing dishes, and make an attempt to reduce consumption.
5. Consider having a solar water heating component installed. This small, easily installed system is virtually maintenance free and warms the water your family uses on a daily basis, using the free heat from the sun.
Want your home to be even smarter? Using outdoor reset controls will reduce the upper limit for hot water in your baseboard based on outside air temperature. For example, a thermostat set on 68°F in February requires 180°F water; while in the "shoulder months" like October and April, a thermostat set on 68°F only requires 120°F degree water from the boiler to your baseboard. That could save 10-20% on your heating costs.
Finally, take a moment to ask your local heating oil dealer about Bioheat®, a cleaner burning, renewable product that can be blended seamlessly with the heating oil you already use. It lowers emissions and cuts down on the amount of traditional heating oil used. In states where ultra-low sulfur heating oil is sold, biofuels can be blended, creating a fuel suitable for burning in the world’s most efficient heating equipment.
As the industry continues to create cleaner fuels, ECC members are encouraging consumers to install highly efficient, state-of-the-art, heating oil furnaces and boilers. These appliances alone have helped cut the average household heating fuel consumption by 25 percent.
Click on any of the boxes to the left to learn more.